Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Parvathy Baul

My love and I went to see Parvathy Baul last night, a singer, painter and storyteller from West Bengal. Her music was incredible, a "blend of devotional Hindu, esoteric Sufi and Vajrayana Buddhist influences" according to the blurb in our local paper that first piqued my interest. She was amazing, with a voice that sent shivers down my spine, gave me goosebumps and lulled me into trance-like states. Though she sang mostly in Bengali, Hindi and even Sanskrit, she would introduce each song with an English synopsis. She looks as though she's never cut her hair in her life. The performance took place at the private residence/Ashram of Jim and Lalitha Capellini in Birch Bay. There was a potluck first, so I spent a couple of hours beforehand trying my best to come up with some Indian food. I had some success, as most of my red lentil/ chickpea curry was cleaned out quite thoroughly. Met some good people and left with a warm glow that carried over through today. I hope to encounter these folks again.
Two of her instruments, a one stringed thingy for drone and a small drum attached to her hip.
Parvathy and hostess Lalitha.
Her beautiful smile
Her spinning, dreads flailing as she sang and played.
The beautifully wrought "jingle bangles" (my term) on her feet, her steps were as precise as could be, in order to provide perfect percussion.
Jim and Lalithas front yard,
and backyard.
Spectacular statue, don't know the devotional term for this one.

3 comments:

breezy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen-Jenny-Jennifer said...

That's it, I'm coming for a visit!!! This sounded soooooo fabulous! Lucky bastard! I'm green with envy! BTW, care to share the curry recipe???

Anonymous said...

The Bauls of Bengal, India spend their whole life in devotion to God expressed trough singing and dancing. Parvathy bauls incredible singing is available on the youtube. Her web site :
http://www.parvathybaul.mimemo.net/
Regards
VG